Tuesday, September 15, 2009

GOAL in therapeutic relationship

What is the nurse’s goal in every therapeutic relationship?

In general, my goal is to let my patient identify his own strengths and abilities that will help my patient grow emotionally as he conquers the challenges in life. Thus, he feels to himself that he has the capacity and potential to overcome those obstacles which come along his way. Through this, my patient can be more responsible and self-reliant in his life. This will give more understanding of himself, and the reality in this world he lives in.

 Pre-orientation – My aim is to prepare myself in dealing to my patient so I can be therapeutic. Thus, I can use myself as an effective tool in nurse-patient interaction. Another goal is to be aware of my own value system, and avoid imposing my own value judgments, beliefs, or practices on the patient so it will not hinder my way of giving care. This will make possible by doing self-awareness, knowing the concepts in psychiatric nursing, improving my skills (therapeutic communication) and having good attitude.

 Orientation – My first goal is to establish rapport and build trust. I aim to set a contract and to let my patient be responsible and encourage participation in our contract. In this way, I let my patient to be open and share his story of life to me so I can assess his situation and help my patient to understand and recognize his own problem and concerns and identify how he is right now.

 Working - My goal is to help the patient move toward greater self understanding and self control. As his nurse, to supports my patient in exploring personal matters, assists my patient with verbalizing personal concerns and clarifying them, encourages sharing feelings and talking about oneself, and promotes experimenting with new or alternative thoughts and behaviors. Thus, it will lead to promote behavior change to help the patient regain or increase positive coping skills and learn to act on his problems and concerns.

 Termination – My aim is to end the relationship as we had in our contract. My goal is to develop my patient to have self-responsibility for setting new goals to be able to successfully face his concerns and problems in life as independent and as a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment